The Great New England Savory Free-Form Bread Competition
Strolling of the Heifers’ 2020 Culinary Centerpiece
Savory “Free-Form” Bread!
With the sponsorship of King Arthur Flour and Red Star® Yeast, our 2020 Culinary Competition “rises” to a new level. Put away your loaf pans and get out your creativity. We’re aiming to find the best Savory “Free-Form” Bread recipes in New England!
It’s time for amateur and professional bakers to fire up their ovens and bring us their best, most delicious original recipe, or put a new twist on an old family favorite!
As part of the 2020 Strolling of the Heifers Weekend, our Culinary Competition will take place on Friday evening, June 5th, 2020 at Brattleboro’s River Garden. The winners will be announced and prizes given out in the River Garden, 157 Main Street, Brattleboro, VT.
Prizes to be awarded:
First prize — $150 King Arthur Flour Gift Certificate, and a King Arthur Flour Gift Basket, 24 – 3 pk. strips of Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast and an “I Knead to be Loaved” apron from Red Star® Yeast or gift bag
Second prize — $100 King Arthur Flour Gift Certificate, a Grafton Village Cheese Company Gift Basket, 12 – 3 pk. strips of Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast and an “I Knead to be Loaved” apron or gift bag from Red Star® Yeast
Third prize — $75 King Arthur Flour Gift Certificate, a Cabot Creamery Gift Basket, 12 – 3 pk strips of Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast and an “I Knead to be Loaved” apron or gift bag from Red Star® Yeast
People’s Choice — $50 Marina Restaurant Gift Certificate
Rules for the Great New England Savory “Free-Form” Bread Competition:
• The recipe must be an Original Savory “Free-Form” Yeast Bread Recipe.
“Original” means the recipe has not been previously published in the same or substantially the same form. Finalists will be required to certify the entry is “original.” Each submitted recipe must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
• “Free-Form” means bread formed by hand and baked without the use of a standard loaf pan.
Bundt pans can be used.
• The recipe must be prepared from scratch; no mixes.
It must include at least 2 cups, of any KING ARTHUR® Flour, including Gluten free. Remaining ingredients may include other types of flour or grains, www.kingarthurflour.com but not a mix of any kind.
The recipe must also contain at least one ¼ ounce package (2¼ tsp.) RED STAR® Yeast product (Active Dry, Quick-Rise™ or Platinum® Yeast) as a leavening agent. www.redstaryeast.com
• Recipe will be disqualified if the type of KING ARTHUR® Flour and RED STAR® Yeast is not stated in the recipe.
• Recipe should make one or more loaves, or one dozen or more rolls. Recipe must specify the quantity it makes.
• Breads may include herbs, vegetables, cheese, meats, nuts, dried fruit, or any other ingredients.
• The use of local ingredients and products from our other sponsors (listed below) are encouraged, but not required.
• A PHOTO must be attached with recipe submission; it may be taken with a phone camera.
One photo should show both the whole loaf, or rolls and a portion sliced, so the interior is visible. The exterior and interior must both be clearly visible. The flour and yeast packaging need not be part of the photo and would not qualify as specifying the type of flour and yeast used in the recipe. The photo must match the description and recipe.
*Tip* Zooming in too close results in distorted photos.
• Recipes must be written in clear, standard format and MUST include complete step-by-step directions, listing each ingredient, including garnishes. Recipe must use either U.S. standardized volume measurements (cup, tablespoon, teaspoon, etc.) and/or weights. For example: 1½ cups (6 3/8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour.
• Include the history of your original recipe: why you developed the recipe; family connection; modifications and when it is served.
• A contestant can enter only one recipe.
• Entries must be submitted via the online entry form on this page, and must be received no later than midnight Friday, May 22, 2020. (No entries accepted by postal mail.)
• By submitting a recipe and photo to The Great New England Savory “Free-Form” Bread Competition, entrant is representing his/her recipe as their original creation. Judges will disqualify previously published recipes, including those published online, from food companies, magazines, cookbooks, blogs, or winners in recipe contests.
• Finalists are solely responsible for complying with any applicable copyright restrictions, and the Strolling of the Heifers, sponsors, its agencies and the judges assume no obligation in that regard. Sponsors may contact you regarding your submission.
• Selection of finalists: All entries will be reviewed by the judges and up to 12 finalists will be selected. Entrees will be judged on originality, creativity, clarity of recipe, and appearance of baked item in photo. Finalists will be notified via email by May 29, 2020.
• Finalists: All finalists who have been notified, must prepare and bring (or arrange to have delivered) two of their Savory Free-Form Breads, or two dozen rolls, to the River Garden by 6:00 p.m. Thursday, June 4th where they will be tasted and judged by a qualified panel of judges. Breads should be freshly baked according to their finalist recipe, unsliced, and ready to be tasted, with no additional decoration, i.e. flowers, fruit etc. They should be presented on a disposable tray or platter or box, which will not be returned. Breads must not require refrigeration.
• DO NOT bring entries unless you have specifically been notified that you are a finalist.
• Competition is open to both amateur and professional bakers.
• If you have been a winner in 3 past Strolling of The Heifers Baking Competitions. If you or your spouse, parent or child (all regardless of place of residence) or others currently living in your household are employed by the Strolling of the Heifers, King Arthur Flour or Red Star Yeast.
• All decisions of the judges are final.
• On Friday, June 5th, the public will be given the opportunity to taste the entries, and vote for the People’s Choice.
• All Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at approximately 7 p.m. on Friday, June 5th, at the River Garden, in Brattleboro, Vermont. Although we strongly recommend that all finalists be there, winners do not need to be present to win, however, if not present, only Gift Certificates will be mailed to the winners. Remaining gift items will be forfeited if not picked up at the award ceremony. Winners will be listed on our website on Sat. June 6th, 2020, or as soon as possible at: Strollingoftheheifers.com.
• Publication and copyright: Recipes will be published at the discretion of the Strolling of the Heifers, King Arthur Flour and Red Star Yeast companies. Prize winners grant the right to use their name, photos and (for professional entries) business affiliation, in any publicity, to Strolling of the Heifers and all sponsors. All entrants retain copyright ownership of recipes but grant to Strolling of the Heifers and to all competition sponsors the non-exclusive unlimited and perpetual right to publish their submitted recipes in any medium, physical, or digital.
• Come to the River Garden on June 5 at 5:00 to taste the finalists’ creations and help pick the “People’s Choice” winner!
Thanks to the competition’s key sponsors!
With additional support from: