The Great New England Bundt Cake Baking Competition
Strolling of the Heifers’ 2018 Culinary Centerpiece
Our annual culinary competition for 2018 aims to find the tastiest and best-looking Bundt Cake in New England!
It’s time for amateur and professional bakers to fire up their ovens and bring us their best, most original Bundt Cake recipe!
Now’s your chance to show off your baking skills.
Local celebrity “foodie” judges will announce the winners on Friday evening, June 1, 2018 at Brattleboro’s River Garden as part of the 2018 Strolling of the Heifers Weekend.
We expect Governor Phil Scott to be on hand to crown the champions, and award the prizes.
Ingredients should be, as much as possible, local, including Vermont products, and the use of ingredients from our sponsors (listed below), is encouraged.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
- First prize — $150 King Arthur Flour gift certificate, plus a King Arthur Flour gift basket, Nordic Ware Heritage Bundt Pan, Nordic Ware Bundt Storage Bag, Nordic Ware Ultimate Bundt Cleaning Tool
- Second prize — $100 King Arthur Flour gift certificate, a gift basket from Grafton Village Cheese Company, Nordic Ware Heritage Bundt Pan, Nordic Ware Bundt Storage Bag, Nordic Ware Ultimate Bundt Cleaning Tool
- Third prize — $75 King Arthur Flour gift certificate, a gift basket from Cabot Creamery, Nordic Ware Heritage Bundt Pan, Nordic Ware Bundt Storage Bag, Nordic Ware Ultimate Bundt Cleaning Tool
- Community Favorite — $50 Marina Restaurant gift certificate
Rules for the Great New England Bundt Cake Baking Competition:
Categories: There is one category, which is open to both amateur and professional bakers: Bundt Cakes, which are sweet cakes that are baked in any 10 – 12 cup capacity Bundt Cake pan, of any design.
Requirements: The cake must be an original recipe or old family recipe that has never been published. It must be prepared from scratch; no mixes, and must include at least ½ cup of any King Arthur Flour (wheat flour or gluten free flour) but not a King Arthur Flour cake mix. The use of local ingredients and products from our sponsors (listed below) are encouraged, but not required. It must be baked in a Bundt pan, of any design, with a 10-12 cup capacity. ALL OTHER CAKES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. The cake can contain any flavors, fruit, nuts, chips, spices etc. It may be filled – or not. It may be finished with a glaze, or dusting of sugar, chocolate or – no finish at all. It’s up to you. Any decoration on the cake must be edible. No flowers etc. unless they are meant to be eaten. Be creative! A contestant can enter only one recipe.
How to enter: We prefer entries be submitted via the online entry form on this page. (If necessary, submit by mail to Strolling of the Heifers / River Garden, 157 Main Street, Brattleboro, Vt. 05301. Answering all questions on the entry blank on this page.) All entries must be received no later than midnight, Friday, May 11, 2018. We are not responsible for postal delays or errors in the delivery of digital submissions.
- Name, address, phone number, email address, and business affiliation of entrant, if professional.
- The “story” of your recipe: If you created it, what inspired you? Or is it a recipe handed down in the family? If so, how have you adapted it? Was it a secret pried from a relative? Do you serve it on any special occasions?
- This must be an original recipe, no matter how old, that has never been published.
- Ingredients: When possible, we encourage the use of local ingredients and those produced by our sponsors, listed below; including flour, eggs, maple syrup, local produce and dairy products. Recipes must be made from scratch, no mixes, and must include at least ½ cup King Arthur Flour, (wheat flour or gluten free flour), but not a King Arthur Flour cake mix.
- Please include a photo of your finished Bundt Cake, showing at least one slice cut out, on a neutral background.
Selection of finalists: All entries will be reviewed by the judges and up to 12 finalists will be selected. Entrees will be judged on creative use of ingredients, clarity of recipe and appearance. Finalists will be notified by May 19, 2018. Each finalist who receives notification will be asked to bring one cake to the River Garden by 6 pm., Thursday, May 31, 2018 for final judging.
Finalists: All finalists who have been notified, must prepare and bring (or arrange to have delivered) one of their Bundt Cakes, to the River Garden on by 6:00 p.m. Thursday, May 31, 2018. Cakes should be freshly baked according to their finalist recipe, unsliced, and ready to be tasted. They should be presented on a disposable tray or platter, which will not be returned, with no additional decoration, i.e. flowers, fruit etc. Cakes must not require refrigeration. DO NOT BRING ENTRIES UNLESS you have specifically been notified that you are a finalist.
Final Judging: Final judging will be based on appearance, taste, creativity, appropriate use of ingredients, fulfillment of all requirements, and relative ease and clarity of recipe. All decisions of the judges are final. On Friday, June 1, 2018 the public will be given the opportunity to taste the entries, and vote for their favorite.
All Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at approximately 7 p.m. on Friday, June 1, 2018 at the bandstand in front of the River Garden, in Brattleboro, Vermont. Although we strongly recommend that all finalists be there, winners do not need to be present to win. Winners will be listed on our website on Sat. June 2, 2018, or as soon as possible at: Strollingoftheheifers.com.
Originality: By entering, contestants warrant that the recipe they supply represents their own creation or ownership of the recipe, and is not from any cookbook, no matter how old, or a duplication of any copyrighted recipe.
Publication and copyright: Recipes will be published at the discretion of Strolling of the Heifers. Prize winners grant the right to use their name, photos and (for professional entries) business affiliation, in any publicity, to Strolling of the Heifers and all sponsors. All entrants retain copyright ownership of recipes but grant to Strolling of the Heifers and to all competition sponsors the non-exclusive unlimited and perpetual right to publish their submitted recipes in any medium, physical, or digital.