The Great New England Fruit Pie Baking Competition
2017 Culinary Centerpiece
Our annual culinary competition for 2017 aims to find the tastiest and best-looking fruit pie in New England! Will you “roll” with the challenge?
It’s time for amateur and professional bakers to fire up their ovens and bring us their best, most original fruit pie recipes!
Local celebrity “foodie” judges will select the winner on Friday evening, June 2, 2017 at Brattleboro’s River Garden as part of the 2017 Strolling of the Heifers Weekend. We expect Governor Phil Scott to be on hand to crown the champions. Prizes will be awarded. Winners do not need to be present to win.
Ingredients should be local, including Vermont products as much as possible. Fresh, frozen or canned fruit, and the use of ingredients from our sponsors (listed below), is encouraged.
Entries must be submitted via our online entry form, which appears on this page.
For those without computer access, entries may be mailed to 105 Partridge Rd., E. Dummerston, VT 05346. All entries must be received no later than midnight, Friday, May 12, 2017.
A contestant can enter only once. Each entry must contain the complete recipe, in standard recipe format — title, exact ingredients, and step-by-step instructions for the crust and filling. Based on the recipes, up to 12 finalists will be selected. Finalists will be notified by May 20, 2017.
Each finalist who receives notification will be asked to bring two pies to the River Garden by 6 p.m., Thursday, June 1, 2017 for judging. Entries should be freshly baked, unsliced, ready to be tasted, and must not require refrigeration.
On Friday, June 2, 2017 the public will be given the opportunity to taste the entries, and winners will be announced later that evening.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
• First prize — $150 gift certificate to King Arthur Flour, plus a King Arthur Flour gift basket
• Second prize — $100 gift certificate to King Arthur Flour, plus a gift basket from Grafton Village Cheese Company
• Third prize — $75 gift certificate to King Arthur Flour, plus a gift basket from Cabot Creamery
• Honorable mention — A gift basket from Cabot Cheese
• Community favorite — A gift basket from Grafton Village Cheese.
Rules for the Great New England Fruit Pie Baking Competition:
- Categories: There is one category, which is open to both amateur and professional bakers: Pie, which is a sweet dessert consisting of a single or double homemade pastry crust, filled with any type of fruit. The crust must be prepared from scratch and include at least ½ cup of King Arthur Flour (wheat flour or gluten free flour). Pies must not require refrigeration.
- Pies must be baked in a standard 9 – 9 ½ inch pie pan. A disposable container or packaging is preferred, but if you feel your pie will benefit from the use of a glass pie plate, you can do so, however both pie plates must be the same, your name must be on the bottom of the plates, and Strolling of the Heifers will not be responsible for pie plates getting broken, damaged, or lost. You will have to pick up your pie plates on Friday evening at the River Garden, after the judging is completed. Any plates not retrieved Friday evening will be donated to a local thrift shop.
- How to enter: We prefer entries be submitted via the online entry form on this page. (If necessary, submit by mail to 105 Partridge Rd., E. Dummerston, VT 05346, answering all questions on the entry blank on this page.) All entries must be received no later than midnight, May 12, 2017. We are not responsible for postal delays or errors in the delivery of digital submissions.
- Entry information: All entries must include the following required information: • A complete recipe for one pie, in standard format listing exact ingredients, quantities, and preparation steps. (Recipe must be for one pie, although you will be bringing two) • Name, address, phone number, and email address of entrant Business affiliation of entrant, if professional • The “story” of your recipe: If you created it, what inspired you? Or is it a recipe handed down in the family? If so, how have you adapted it? Was it a secret pried from a relative? Do you serve it on any special occasions? • This must be an original recipe, no matter how old, that has never been published.
- Selection of finalists: All entries will be reviewed by the judges, and up to 12 entries will be selected for tasting at the finals. Finalists will be notified by May 20, 2017. Ingredients: When possible, we encourage the use of local ingredients and those produced by our sponsors, listed below, including flour, cheese, eggs, maple syrup, and dairy products. Recipes must include at least ½ cup King Arthur Flour (wheat flour or gluten free flour).
- Originality: By entering, contestants warrant that the recipe they supply represents their own creation and is not a duplication of a copyrighted recipe.
- Finalists: All finalists who are notified by the judges must prepare and bring (or arrange to have delivered) two pies baked according to their finalist recipe, unsliced, ready to be tasted, to the River Garden on Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. Pies must not require refrigeration. A disposable container or packaging is preferred, but if you feel your pie will benefit from a glass pie plate, you can do so, however: both pie plates must be the same, your name must be on the bottom of the plates, and we will not be responsible for pie plates getting broken, damaged, or lost. You will have to pick up your pie plates on Friday evening at the River Garden, after the judging is completed. Any plates not retrieved Friday evening will be donated to a local thrift shop. DO NOT BRING ENTRIES UNLESS you have specifically been notified that you are a finalist.
- Judging: Recipes and pies will be judged based on creative use of ingredients, appearance, taste and relative ease and clarity of preparation method. All decisions of the judges are final. Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at approximately 7 p.m. on Friday, June 2, 2017 in front of the River Garden in Brattleboro, Vermont. Although we strongly recommend that all finalists be there, winners do not need to be present to win.
- Publication and copyright: Recipes will be published at the discretion of Strolling of the Heifers. Prize winners grant to Strolling of the Heifers and all sponsors the right to use their name, photo and (for professional entries) business affiliation in any publicity. All entrants retain copyright to recipes but grant to Strolling of the Heifers and to all competition sponsors the non-exclusive unlimited and perpetual right to publish their submitted recipes in any medium, physical, or digital.
Contest entry form:
Please be sure to press the Submit button! You will be taken to a confirmation page and will receive a confirmation email. If you are returned to this page, it means you have not answered a required field, which will be highlighted in red.
Pie Photo Credits: Sara R.; Theresa Stanton; Stephanie Lamphere; Poppy – all used under Creative Commons License